In 2007 St Paul’s installed an international water-based turf to meet the demand for a second hockey turf in Hamilton. With the rapid growth of hockey in the Waikato and the heavily used Gallagher Hockey Centre, St Paul’s hockey turf became a satellite turf for Waikato Hockey. This turf is also used all year round by Midlands Hockey, Collegian Hockey Clubs, secondary school students, local intermediate and surrounding low decile primary schools.
Current feedback from Waikato Hockey has St Paul’s positioned to help with the capacity issue for 1200 children playing mini hockey at the Gallagher Hockey Centre. However St Paul’s is currently unable to support this increase in numbers due to a lack of appropriate hockey pavilion facilities. All hockey users must use changing rooms and ablution facilities 150m removed from the turf which are heavily used by rugby and cricket. This is no longer a viable option for our players and spectators of hockey.
As part of a three stage plan to provide a hockey training hub for eastern Hamilton, St Paul’s plans to build a dedicated pavilion with the following facilities:
• Changing rooms for home and visiting hockey teams
• Ablution and shower facilitates for both players and spectators
• An indoor space for meetings and learning modules
• Office space for Midlands Hockey Association
• A structure to accommodate video facilities
• A balcony for spectators to view hockey matches
• Recovery area for players with a conditioning room
• A function area that provides a space for hospitality