With a growing demand for skilled workers in the primary industries, the St Paul’s Foundation teamed up with Dairy NZ, Beef + Lamb NZ and ten business partners from within the agriculture sector, to create New Zealand’s first Agribusiness curriculum for secondary school students.
The Centre of Excellence for Agricultural Science and Business is a two-year academic agribusiness programme that has been designed to expose and inspire tertiary capable students, in Years 12 and 13, to the wide range of skills required and opportunities available in pastoral agriculture.
Agribusiness at St Paul's Collegiate School from St Paul's Collegiate School on Vimeo.
Students will come into the programme from either strong Science and/or Commerce backgrounds and will continue with their complementary NCEA Level 2 and Level 3 subjects accordingly. Students involved in the programme will:
- learn about plant science, soil science, primary industries, digital technology, managing risks in agri-business, agri-marketing, food science, microbiology, new technologies, agri-business accounting, operating structures in agri-business and others
- be encouraged to sit NZQA Scholarship Agricultural Horticultural Science
- have the opportunity to gain complementary NCEA credits from a number of selected achievement standards within the Agribusiness courses.
Agribusiness Scholarships will be awarded to young men and women starting at St Paul’s in Year 11 or 12, who would like to be part of the Centre of Excellence for Agricultural Science and Business programme. The students must be of sound academic ability and be able to contribute to the wider life of St Paul’s. While open to all students, financial need and distance living from St Paul’s will be considerations in making final decisions from the Agribusiness Scholarship applications.
We invite you to to enable secondary school students to learn Agribusiness at St Paul’s by becoming a scholarship partner. There are three levels:
Gold – $30,000
- This will enable students who live in remote areas to board at St Paul’s for two years and cover 50% of their tuition and boarding fees
Silver – $25,000
- This will enable students who live in remote areas to board at St Paul’s for two years and cover their full boarding expenses, but not tuition fees.
Bronze – $20,000
- This will enable a day student to attend St Paul’s for two years and cover 50% of their tuition fees.
We also welcome any contribution made which will go towards our general Agribusiness Scholarship fund.